Binary numbering system uses only two symbols 0 and 1. Each digits of a binary number is referred to bits. Binary system is also known as base -2 system. Each digit is represented by the increasing power of 2 from the LSB (Least Significant Bit). Binary system is the heart of digital electronics and is used for information flow. In digital electronics, 0 and 1 are used to denote logic states, high and low. Arithmetic operations are also possible in binary system.
Whole number, a decimal point and a fractional value combines to form a decimal number. The decimal point separates the whole number part from the fractional part of the number. Each digit of a decimal number can be any number from 0 to 9. Any value less than 1 is written to the right of decimal point. Decimal numbers are also known as base-10 number or counting numbers. Place value of decimal number varies as the whole number powers of 10 starting from the left of decimal point. Similarly, the place value of digits left to decimal point varies as the division of power of tens.
Octal numbers use digits from 0-7 only. It is known as base-8 number. The place value of each digits of an octal number varies as the whole number powers of 8 starting from the right (Least Significant Digit). The first single digit number in octal system is 0 and the last is 7. Similarly, the first two digit octal number is 10 and the last is 77 and so on. Octal number system was widely used in early computers.
Hexadecimal number system uses 16 different symbols to represent a numeric value. It uses numbers 0 to 9 and alphabets A to F for representation. . The place value of each digits of an hexadecimal number varies as the whole number powers of 16 starting from the right (Least Significant Digit). The first single digit number in hexadecimal system is 0 and the last is F. Similarly, the first two digit hexadecimal number is 10 and the last is FF and so on. It is used as an alternative for binary numbers by developers and programmers.
Binary, Decimal, Octal and Hexadecimal conversion table
- Binary to Decimal converter
- Binary to Octal converter
- Binary to Hexadecimal converter
- Binary to Gray code converter
- Decimal to Binary converter
- Decimal to Octal converter
- Decimal to Hexadecimal converter
- Decimal to Gray code converter
- Octal to Binary converter
- Octal to Decimal converter
- Octal to Hexadecimal converter
- Octal to Gray code converter
- Hexadecimal to Binary converter
- Hexadecimal to Decimal converter
- Hexadecimal to Octal converter
- Hexadecimal to Gray converter
- Gray Code to Binary converter
- Gray Code to Decimal converter
- Gray Code to Octal converter
- Gray Code to Hexadecimal converter